From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:52:00 -0400

Dear Listmates:

I hasten to clarify my statement that the actual process of producing pure
maple syrup COULD adversely affect celiacs.  Because the traditional way of
boiling the sap includes the addition of lard or more recently cream, to
calm the bubbles, this could unknowlingly affect those celiacs who are
also: lactose intolerant and/or vegetarians. It also affects those who keep
or follow kosher guidelines, or try to only eat foods that are hallel.

I have no information that maple syrup contains any hidden gluten; only
lard & cream.

Helen