From:
JEFFERSON DAVIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:13:29 -0700

Dear Fellow Celiacs;

My intention is not to downplay the importance of some of the recent
postings, but I thought it might be nice to read something on the lighter
side.  I was dx one year ago this month, and what a year it has been.  My
husband who is not a celiac wrote me this poem the week I was dx.
Whenever I feel discouraged I read this poem and remember with a sense of
humor and support we can get through just about anything.....

Ode to a Celiac

A celiac! A celiac! She heard Dr Laurie proclaim.
The tests all show positive for that queer little name.
She knew that it meant no gluten for life
I felt so bad for my poor little wife.
It won't be so bad, I encouragingly say.
But I'd rather die than skip wheat for a day.
How can one live without cookies and cake
or a hot kaiser roll to go with your steak!
Burgers with no bun and a club hold the bread.
Oh dear Lord no, I'd go out of my head!

But, after some research and shopping around, we see
there's no reason for stomping the ground.
There's still many foods that can taste quite nice,
like beans and corn, or rice, rice, rice!
We'll have rice cakes for breakfast, a salad at noon.
At dinner some tofu to eat with our spoon.
We'll spend more time shopping to check out each label.
Looking for additives no fit for our table.
Gliadin and prolamin cannot be on her plate,
but she'll still enjoy things like potassium citrate.

Now as she settles into her new diet,
I pray that the calls from her doctors do quiet.

A glutton for gluten she will no longer be.
But we'll still have each other my Celiac and me!

Written by Jefferson Davis

I hope you all enjoy this poem. I greatly appreciate this list and the
support I receive from fellow celiacs and the professionals.

Karen Davis
Portland, Or

a sald at no