From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:50:23 -0800

While waiting in the dentist office for the kids to get their teeth
cleaned, I found this recipe, decided it sounded good and perhaps I
could adapt it to being gluten free.  Well, this is a cake to die for
(literally and figuratively!)  Certainly not low cal, but the entire
cake was gone in less than 24 hours and no one could tell it was GF (I
served it to guests that had no knowledge of our eating habits!).  I
used Hagman's Four Bean Flour Mix as I find that it gives the smoothest
texture in baked goods, but you can probably use any GF flour mix and
get similar results.

Happy eating!!

Sue in North Dakota

White Texas Sheet Cake
(adapted from a Taste of Home Cook Book)

Cake:

1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups GF flour mix (Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup GF sour cream
1 teaspoon GF almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum

Frosting:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (could be omitted if desired)

In a large saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil.  Remove from
heat; wisk in remaining cake ingredients until smooth.  Pour into
greased 15 x 10 x 1= inch baking pan (jelly roll pan).

Bake at 375 deg F. for 20-22 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests
done.  Cool for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, for frosting, combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan and
bring
to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar and almond extract.  Mix well.  Add
walnuts.  Spread over warm cake.