From:
Beverley Sokulsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:55:42 +1100

Hi Don,
Nice to know you!!

I cannot say why the C.S.I.R.o. in Australia and the national Food
Authority chose 0.02g/kg but the point that you expressed:

No symptom by ingesting low amounts of gluten,

has been addressed by NSW Ceoliac Society and patron medical
practitioners. They say that a diagnosised Coeliac, stil ingesting
gluten, increases the risk of bowel cancer & lymphoma, to themselves by
several more percentage points than the normal population. I can't quote
the exact figure as my information is still packed away (we just moved
house).they are treading the conservative line. when you think about it
though, if your immune system attacks your body by ingesting a substance,
your antibody levels are going to be flucutating inline with your levels
of ingestion and depending upon the age and current health status of the
body, your rate of reaction will differ. Sure a small amount, with your
own body's threshold, may not provoke a detectable reaction, but what
happens over a period of time.

In my personal exprience, being dx since 1992, my reactio time has slowed
down from 5-6 hours to two days.(Accidental ingestion). On the question
of OatsI quote from the Australian Coeliac Sept 1995,
Gordon S. Howarth - Research Scientist-child Health Research Institute,
Women's & children's Hospital, North Adelaide 5006:

I quote( a bit lengthy but it needs context):
Although the cause of Coeliac Disease is essentially a sensitivity to
gluten, this is a rather vague and simplistic understanding of the
aetiology of this disease. Coeliac Disease is activated by the dietary
ingestion of gluten(protiens present in the grains of wheat, rye,barley
and oats).
These grains are more closely related, with respect to their evolutionary
development from primitive grasses such as rice,corn,sorghum and millet,
which do not activate Coelaic Disease. The activation of CD is now known
to be triggered by components of gluten that are soluble in alcohol. In
wheat gluten, these are termed gliadins, whereas in barley, rye and oats
these small proteins (or peptides) are named hordeins, secalins and
avenins respectively. Within the gliadin componet of gluten there are a
number of different gliadin peptides, some of which are potent activators
of CD, while others are relatively benign.
It is important to identify these "toxic" gliadins as they are usually
very small and difficult to detect. Indeed, the development of more
sensitive scientific tests to detect these peptides has great relevance
to the food preparation industry, since food products that are currently
marketed as 'gluten free" may contain low levels of these toxic peptides
that are not being detected by present testing methods. This could be one
possible explanation for the continuing disease activity expressed in
some CD sufferers, despite claims of a strict adherence to a gltuen free
diet." End Quote, whewwwwwwww!!

Sorry for the length,Mr Howarth goes on to tell about research into
growth factors to repair bowel linings and the genetic inheritance
factors in relation to donor compatiblity as well as "designer peptides"
to fool the gut into becoming unresponsive.

Don, I'd be interested in more of your case studies and the amount of
repetitions of the studies.

Awaiting your comments
Beverley Sokulsky<[log in to unmask]>