From:
Ross McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ross McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:30:23 +1000

Recently, harriet craig wrote:

>-several people had trouble with brown rice and could only digest white
>rice.

My wife used to have this problem, but has discovered that since we
properly soak the brown rice for at least 8 hours first, she has no
problem digesting it.

Soaking is important for all dried beans, and is at least beneficial for
whole grains. It activates enzymes that alter the grain, increasing
nutrition and inhibiting some bad enzymes that mess with people's
digestive systems.

According to a scientific report a few years ago, soaking 20 hours or
more in warm water will significantly increase the nutrition of brown
rice by partially germinating it (Germinated Brown Rice):
http://www.hatsuga.com/DOMER/english/en/GBRRB.html

We find that brown rice soaked 8-12 hours, wet milled in a blender with
fresh water, mixed with wet milled beans or lentils and fermented to
sourness, makes a fabulous flat bread called dosa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosa
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Dosa
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
The planet is in a pickle, but fermenting will help save us