Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:19:31 -0800

Thanks for the many responses to my post.

A few people completely missed the point but the following emerged as
'the facts'.

The grains of oats are safe as they do not contain gluten.

As we are not a large segment of the market, the manufacturer's are not
going to make our needs their first priority.

Several manufacturer's appear to have decided not to use the term
'gluten free' because of the possibility of a law suite, even when they
know that their product, as it leaves their premises,  is safe.

Some conventional bakeries have taken great pains to prepare gf breads
in 'clean' surroundings by only baking gf after the bakery has been
closed and carefully cleaned of all flour contamination.  A bakery in
Boston did this twice a month for a time but unfortunately has closed.

From Vancouver BC:

Here in Vancouver, Choices Market was baking "gluten free" bread and
cookies etc. in their regular bakery & a number of us spoke to them
about our concerns and basically refused to buy it.  So, they decided to
use their in-store bakery only for gluten free and opened a separate
bakery down the street for the rest of their products.  It's nice that
they really did want to supply fresh gluten free baking and that they
had the means to open a new bakery site and not demolish the old bakery
equipment to gain more floor space.

Also in Vancouver is the 'Panne Rizo'  (spelling?) that is entirely gf
and gets rave reviews.

From Edmonton AB:

Fortunately I live in Edmonton AB Canada the home of the wonderful GF
bakery and grocers Kinikinik Foods.

But, there is a health bakery in Edmonton, Bee Bell Bakery, that does
sell GF bread, and buns, and sweets. I know that on Wednesdays before
closing the entire bakery, utensils, etc are thoroughly cleaned. Then,
on Thursday mornings the bakers come in and bake only GF items. The
items are all wrapped (even those going into the display case) so that
even when in the display case they cannot be contaminated with wheat products.

They have found this system very successful. I know that they're GF
products are well thought of. If you dont reserve a loaf of bread, or
get there thursday morning as soon as they open, you are usually out of
luck until the following week.

Bev in Milwaukee has posted her info to the list about Cybros Bakery and
their safe gf products.

I hope that from the above we will see that some companies are making a
real effort on our behalf.  We should let them know how much we
appreciate this.  In our approach to other companies who are being
cautious about making GF claims, if we are less confrontational, and
more encouraging, perhaps our supply base can be expanded.

Bon appetit, everyone.

Jessie