From:
Vicki White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:30:58 -0500

Some time ago I wrote in questioning two obituaries I had seen stating
complications of celiac disease as the cause of death.

I received a number of responses that generally expressed the same
puzzlement that I had myself. A few people felt that there was probably
another cause of death not stated but equally as compelling.

Two people expressed concern for their care if they ever had to go to a
nursing home or assisted living center, since they did not expect the
kitchen staff would cater to their needs.
Others saw this as a wake up call since they do not rigorously follow
the gluten free diet.

Several people consulted with their doctors who reminded them that
lymphoma affects only a very small percentage of the population.

On the positive side, one person wrote in about her step-grandmother,
who had CD and lived to the ripe old age of 103 with all her faculties
intact!

Lastly, two people were quite irate as they follow the gluten free
lifestyle but have multiple medical problems and assume they will
ultimately die from CD, saying that not everyone responds as well as
others to the GF diet.

For myself, I've learned that attitude is so much a part of this.
Figure out a way to get out and be with people, don't deny yourself
opportunities for living a full life, and remember, as one writer
responded, "ultimately we all die of something!"

Vicki