From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:07:00 -0500

I got a gorgeous head of cauliflower on sale this week, and wasn't sure what to do with it.  By now, you know I grab whatever is in the kitchen.  (You'd think I would use of of the bazillion cookbooks I have; that would be too easy. sic.)

So...Cut up into flowerettes (or however you spell it). I didn't drain it off well, so there was still moisture.

In a large frying pan, I sauteed one diced large onion, in enough olive oil to coat the pan generously.  When onions started to soften, I tossed in the cauliflower pieces.

Add a generous amount of fresh ground pepper
a sprinkle of salt (usually I don't use salt)
a scant sprinkle of ground cumin
a scant sprinkle of ground coriander seed
a generous sprinkle of tumeric (I put this in almost everything now. It's an anti-inflammatory, and has no real taste.)
If you like these spices, add more.  I didn't want a heavy flavor, so I kept it minimum.

Stir thoroughly until the oil and spices coat the cauliflower and sautee a little..so the onions start to turn color a bit, and the cauliflower is no longer white.

Then stir in two medium  fresh diced tomatoes. (Or a can without the liquid, if you don't have fresh....more for chunks of soft tomatoes, not for a sauce.)

I then covered the pan, lowered it to medium heat, and let it cook through.  Maybe 10 minutes.  Barely done is better than cooked to mush.

I have to say that cauliflower is not one of my favorite vegetables, but this not only tasted good, it was a pretty color too, because of the spices and almost carmelized onions.   I happened to serve it with baked fish, but you can use this with anything.  (I baked both salmon fillet and tillapia fillets, dusted with smoked paprika.  I cook once and reheat for second night.)

I've never tried freezing cauliflower, but I got two servings last night, and two for tonight, and whatever is left is going in the freezer.  Depends upon the size of the head.

Lin

*******
*******