From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:59:28 -0500

Absolutely incredible!! Even at this busy time of year I received 60+
were not short or rushed through either, so THANK YOU AGAIN!! You all have
VERY BIG HEARTS and truly exemplify the meaning of SUPPORT!!

The challenge was how do I summarize all these great replies into succinct
but meaningful emails. So I think I can do this in 3 emails!

I.  To Go or Not To Go?
A few indicated that they never turn down an invitation no matter what! A
few also indicated they would never attend a sit-down or restaurant party.
Be careful about declining too many invitations because you may get
excluded later.  However, most people scrutinized a little based on the
type of party and communication with the host.

Appetizer or hors d'oeuvre Type Parties:

Most of us had no problems attending these types of parties. The variable
was whether to eat beforehand and/or to bring something.  See additional
comments:
**Many said eat beforehand, that way if you find something to nibble on
great, if not, you're fine.
==Almost everyone said to bring some safe items to eat (see next email).
==A few did not worry and said they just eat the fruit, cheese, raw veggies
and corn chips (if available).
==Eat a full meal before you go, just in case.
==Just have a drink and mingle.
==Eat only safe items!

Potluck Parties:

Attendance at these types of parties depended on the communication link
with the host. Although it seems as though most people have no problem
attending as long as they can make arrangements ahead of time.  See
additional comments:
==Most people said eat beforehand unless you've discussed the menu with the
host.
==Offer to bring a GF filling item that you can eat.  Make sure the host
knows you need the first serving - or have some set-aside for you.
==Try to bring a main dish (e.g., lasagna, chili).
==Take portion from the untouched side of the tray/dish.
==Bring more than one thing so you have a couple of things to eat to avoid
quizzing everyone on the ingredients in their food.

Dinner Parties:

All responses in this category depended on the known elements of the
party.  The themes were:
==Never go unless it's someone you really know well and you have gone
through all of the items that will be served and you know you can eat
safely.
==Go if you can discuss the menu with the host and identify at least a few
items you can eat.
==Go if arrangements can be made in advance for you to bring your own
dinner.
==Bring a dinner in a container that can be easily micro waved.
==A few people always/usually decline dinner parties or go after the meal.
==Talk to the hostess about getting your portion before others to ensure
you get GF food and use the serving utensils before cross-contamination.
==Always offer to bring food that you can eat, either a portion for you or
the whole group.
==You could ask the host to microwave a potato and have that with salad

II. How to Decline Food or Party?

==First explain (personal preference) condition and then explain you do not
eat anything you have not prepared yourself.
==No Thanks, it looks great but I've got celiac (or food allergies).
==I'd love to come, but I have a really annoying disease (explanation at
level you’re comfortable).
==No thank you, I'm on a restricted diet.
==Simply thank the person for the invitation and explain why you cannot
attend.
==If after the explanation, they still seem insulted then go into the
increase risk of cancer or brain lesions and that should do it!
==Simply say no thank you, I ate before I came (add food allergies or CD
reference).

End of email #1...