From:
Ken Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:28:34 -0700

Greetings to all,

First my wife and I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming response to
my plea for information.  We were overwhelmed at, not only the quantity but
also, quality of your answers.  Thanks to each and every one of you.  To
summarize my question:  My wife was diagnosed CD at age 74 last September,
after a year of tests at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale.  Even though we have
been adhering to a strict GF diet she has shown little improvement after
over six months.  I wondered if others had the same problems and asked for
suggestions.

One thing in my message I want to correct.  I transposed her current
weight, getting dyslexia in my advanced years.  She is 5'1" and weighed 100
pounds when she started with the CD symptoms over a year ago.  And is now
down to 89 pounds.

Many suggested that her medication and vitamins may contain gluten and we
are in the process of checking on that.  Have already found that some do
contain gluten.

Others suggested lactose or dairy products may be contributing to her
problem and others even said they had problems with other foods such as soy,
legumes, citrus, etc.

Some suggested returning to her doctor or a nutritionist for more
information and possibly vitamin supplements.

Another good suggestion was keeping a complete log of all food products
consumed and having someone with more experience look at it.

Some suggested cutting way back on everything and starting with rice and
lamb and water and add things one at a time.  That may be what she will have
to try, but that would be very hard for her.

Some talked about lipstick and other makeup, which really floored us, but it
makes sense.

All of you showed genuine concern for her and empathized with what she is
going through.  Many of you urged us to be patient and keep on the diet.  We
want to thank and bless each of you that responded.

Ken,
Scottsdale, AZ