From:
Dave Ashford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:00:59 -0500

> My suprise was with
> this new guys feelings about a gf diet, he seems to think it would be
> almost impossible to be 100% gf so he doesn't push his patients towards
> that end.  He says if I'm 80% gf,maintaining my weight & feeling ok-that's
> satisfactory.  He doesn't feel the increased cancer risk is a big threat
> and kind of said the only problem with not being gf is the diarrhea...

He does not know what he is talking about.
My mother, my sister & myself are all celiac.  My mother was diagnosed
comparatively late in life and has been treated for osteoporosis for
some years now.  I believe that the same mechanism that has resulted in
your anaemia is probably also at play with the osteoporosis.
Many doctors, particularly in the U.S., really do not know about celiac
disease, its' symptoms or the necessity of the gluten free diet.  I have
been celiac since 1966.  I emigrated to the U.S. 10 years ago, and have
yet to find a gp who has any knowledge of celiac.  I am sure that there
are some out there, but I have not been fortunate enough to meet one.  I
am rigid on the diet (to the extent of taking my own condiments when I
go out for lunch) and try to get an annual physical to ensure that I am
maintaining my health.

(Sorry for the diatribe, but it really irritates me when people who know
nothing about this condition recommend *not* following the gluten free
diet)