From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:40:31 -0500

This post was written by someone who doesn't understand homeopathic medications.  While not an expert I have been under the care of a homeopath for nearly 8 years.  Homeopathic medicines contain nearly undetectable amounts of the substance they are derived from.
Take the lowest potency available if you are concerned--the lowest number on the vial  6 C or 30 C.   Interestingly the higher the potency the less there is of the initial ingredient.  It does not work like conventional medications.

There are many informative books on the market about homeopathy--or do an internet search for basic information.
I do not have a copy of the post you are asking about, but it
might be one I wrote.  This plant can be a powerful toxin with GI,
cardiac and other effects in common veterinary species.  It causes
some of the most horrifying birth defects imaginable when eaten by
pregnant sheep.  I cannot imagine taking any amount of it
voluntarily.  Most in favor of taking it are suggesting "homeopathic
doses."  There is no science behind homeopathy.  There is also no
oversight of homeopathic remedies, so you do not have FDA or any
other impartial regulator ensuring the safety, efficacy or
effectiveness of what is in such products.

     I am not a medical doctor, and I am not offering medical or
veterinary advice with this information.
Homeopathic remedies (like the veratrum album that folks take for
gluten reactions) are extremely diluted concentrations of substances
that would make you sick if you ingested them in concentrated form.
EXTREMELY diluted.  For example, a formula that is labeled "6X" means  that it is one part of the substance diluted with 1,000,000 (or 10 to  the sixth power)  parts of something else (can be water, lactose, or  alcohol).  Incidentally, 6X is a concentrated form in homeopathic
remedies-- most are more diluted.  According to homeopathic theory, the  more diluted the remedy, the stronger it's impact.  Strengths marked  with a C (i.e. nC) are diluted as 100 to the nth power.  Criticism of  homeopathy often centers upon how anything in that tiny a concentration can do anything whatsoever.  Sometimes the dilutions are so great that  it is impossible to tell whether any of the original "active"
ingredient is present at all.

I have taken arsenic, belladonna, rattlesnake venom, and other alarming  substances in homeopathic remedies to no ill effect.  Not sure if  homeopathy provides a placebo effect or if it really works.  If you ask  a doctor, he or she will say that homeopathic remedies can't hurt you  -- but they will warn you off of taking herbal remedies (because they  are in a concentrated form - in a tea or capsules.

If you want to know more about homeopathy, you can read about it at  Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a daughter of an 86 year old mom with Parkinsons and a 91 year old mother-in-law with severe arthritis, my first reaction is ask her doctor and the pharmacist and then call the drug companies who make her drugs and ask them directly....to verify that it won't react with any meds she is currently taking. The latter two will know the most. I wouldn't ask them about the merits of veratrum album, just about the danger of interactions.
Veratrum Album is a homeopathic medicine.  The dose itself is so small of an
amount that harm will not come.

You can by this on the internet or local health food stores.

Homeopathic Medicines are used widely and where being used when the American
Medical Associating reared its ugly head and naysayed it.  It came back and
never left some countries.  The AMA actually using types of this medicine
which is to dilute the medicine so much only a faint trace is there and by
taking this it helps jump start your body to healing itself instead of cover
up and over your symptoms.  Think of all the shots that we've had through
the years they have small amounts of the disease/illness in the serum to
help our immune system jumpstart the process of fighting the
disease/illness.

This tends to work well with children and women and men who can get past the
concept of not taking high doses of something to feel better.

The best way to take the tablets or balls is to take between 2 to 4 without
touching them, put them in the cap and put directly under the tongue and let
them dissolve slowly and if relief isn't felt try another dose 10 to 20
minutes apart.

IMPORTANT THAT YOU NOT TAKE IN BEVERAGES OR STRONG FOODS ETC.. PRIOR TO
TAKING THE HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE AND NOT TO TAKE IN BEVERAGES OR STRONG FOODS
AFTER TAKING THE MEDICINE,  GIVE 10 TO 20 PRIOR AND AFTER BEFORE CONSUMING
DRINK OR FOOD.

Sometimes a icepack wrapped up on the tummy helps also, my 4 year old had
this problem today he laid down and I got the ice pack and wrapped it up and
gave him 2 doses of veratrum album and within 20 minutes or less he was back
flying around the yard.  There is a very small amount of lactose in these
tablets and balls such an amount it hasn't ever bothered me for the 15 years
me and mine have used them, I can't eat anything from the cow, dairy or
beef, but these aren't a problem.  These should would well for the ageing.

I googled veratrum album and found numerous references to veratrum album as being a deadly poison which is very rarely ever used anymore in homeopathic remedies, also stating it contained pyrethrum (as in insecticides?).  I have used the brand made by Boiron & it has relieved diarrhea, but I don't think I'll use it anymore.  I have been having inflammatory vasculitis in my veins (I have lupus along with celiac) & wonder if it could be because of the veratrum album.