From:
Elizabeth Margareta Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:51:49 -0500

"As the world shrinks, we mix the gene pool - also more processed foods"
-Catherine Hammelrath

Carol Lydick asked a similar question herself, and discovered a 1 in 300
rate of celiac in a South American country, and several celiacs of
African and Asian ancestry.

Martin Finne points out that Italy has a high rate of celiac - and wheat
is an important part of Italian cuisine.  He also gave a web site
concerning the likelihood that celiac is severely underdiagnosed in this
country, given that it is the most common genetic disease in Europe, and
many Americans are of European descent.  Unfortuneately, my server
routinely renders web sites illegible.  (And if anyone knows how to fix
THAT, please respond!)

Karen D'Andrea wondered if wheat were simply poisonous, like rhubarb.

Lillian Horne speculated that doctors may be in denial because celiac,
after all, is not a disease that necessarily brings in much revenue.  She
feels that a low-protein, vegetable-based diet and avoiding dairy after
age 2, sugar, soda would improve most people's digestive health.  Also
she mentioned the probability of cross-contamination with commercially
milled flours.