Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:11:44 +0100

Recently there was a post that made a remark that "people with special
diets are rude to ask that others meet their dietary needs". This was in
reference to airplane meals, but seem to imply a blanket statement.
As this forum is a support network, I want to take this opportunity to
explore that concept. As a person with Celiac sprue, I understand that
ultimately, it is my responsibility to ingest only GF foods. I also feel
it is our responsibility to enlighten others who may not be aware, and
help them understand how to help us with this necessary medical diet.
If we simply remain on the sidelines of life not actively trying to
participate in a social awareness of this disease, we don't have much of
a chance of getting the FDA to comply, or airlines/restaurants trying to
meet the need.
In the book "Against the Grain", in the chapter entitled "Attitude,
Attitude, Attitude.", Jax writes:
"Never trivialize your problem (Celiac disease) or allow others to do
so. The word "just" no longer exists for you. Never use this sloppy
little adverb to present your problem to the world. I'm referring to the
popular usage, "Oh it's just a little grain problem" or "It's just an
allergy", When you speak this way, you are belittling the importance of
your problem, and it is a cue for others to do the same. Words such as
"just, only, and merely", fly in the face of all that you are. Whenever
you use them, you are begging the listener to turn off and not take you
or your request seriously. Habits like this are tough to break because
something in your background is telling you-you don't deserve the full
attention of others, that your problems are not as important as theirs.
Developing a new attitude means developing a new response to old cues.
People will tell you how lucky you are that it's "just" (there's that
word again) a diet and nothing worse. Here are some stock answers that
will let others know you are not a person to be dismissed and will leave
you feeling a whole lot better for having stood up for yourself. If
someone is rude and/or dumb enough to say, "You know, you really should
feel lucky it's just an allergy, and not something worse," match the
punishment with the crime:
a. Maybe I will at some point, but right now this is really tough for
me.
b. I'll let you know when I do.
c. Why don't you try my diet for a week, then tell me how lucky you feel

Jax goes on to recommend that you pick your situations carefully- this
conversation may be inappropriate in certain circumstances. From here on
in, you have to participate in the process. The adjustment to this new
interactive eating can be daunting. The bottom line- you can no longer
sit back and be served."

The sharing of information regarding Celiac disease requirements, with
chefs, airline food services, pharmacists etc..... is the road we are
now paving. I shudder to think any of us would be satisfied to go on
indefinately in the current mode with inadequate labeling, and in 1996
being handed a phone number by your pharmacist for YOU to call the
manufacturer and investigate the inert ingredients to see if they are
GF, while a National Database exists for active ingredients. We can
accept these shoddy practices or we can insist that this is not
acceptable. I am not saying we need to be militant about it, but that
those of us with Celiac sprue have as much right to request these basic
services as those with more "popular" or well known diseases as
diabetes, heart disease, or high cholesterol. I just want people to
stand tall, and stand firm in the wake of Celiac diagnosis. European
countries are way ahead of the US in accomodating the C(o)eliac
requirements. Our united solidarity in requesting that specific needs be
met, no matter how "inconvenient" for the rest of (the wheat laden)
society, is a common courtesy for our everyday well-being, and the
enlightenment of those who do not have Celiac disease.
Bring your own GF food on the airplane trip, but do order a GF meal &
let them know if they got it right.
Smile while you hand back that phone number to the Pharmacist & tell
them you expect THEM as licensed vendors of pharmaceutical drugs, to
verify if it is gluten free.
If the chef sends you a salad with wheat croutons, send it back.
Know that you are doing this for yourself, and others who follow. Yes
you are responsible for yourself, but we are all helping each other when
we take these assertive steps. Thank you in advance for all that do.