Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:02:45 -0500

SUMMARY of following question:  I would like to know the various phone apps
that are available for celiacs. Could I get an opinion from those who use
one/more, the name of the apps, and your opinion?  Does the app try to take
too much of your privacy away when installing it?

11 positive responses for "FindMeGlutenfree" app;  2 positive responses for
"Overflow" & GlutenFreeTravelSite responded as well.  If you want to read
apologize for the slow response.  I have already used "FindMeGlutenFree"
with success.

Some various comments:   (1) Getting better all the time as more people
report good GF places - - they don't ask for much, really no personal info;
(2) You can search for restaurants based on your location and whether you
are looking for a strictly gf restaurant, one with a gf menu, or just one
that people have found to be safe; (3) Great for finding places to eat and
gluten free; (4) Based on location it gives you GF restaurants and grocery
stores. Despite the location thing it does not take away privacy. Good for
cross country trips or local looks; (5) It is fairly useful if you are in a
place and need to find some GF options based on your location.  It is no
worse than most other apps on snooping.  All free apps have to collect data
to sell and push ads to pay for the "free" app; (6) It has always had good
suggestions and has reviews; (7) It allows you to include restaurants,
bakeries, and stores that aren't chains and decide if they must have a GF
menu or not. I like how often this app is used and seems to have the most
data. Settings Location - while using and I allow cellular Data usage as
typically I'm using this while out. However you could just put in the zip
code of where you are instead of allowing location; (8) I love using the
"Find Me GF" app on my phone.  You can choose your privacy settings - I
haven't had any issues with that personally.  The app lets you search for
restaurants that have GF menus or are GF friendly if they don't have a menu.
It includes reviews by GF people on each restaurant.  I absolutely love this
app and use it all the time!  I don't always trust the reviewers on the app,
so if I'm interested in one of the restaurants listed, I often will go to
the restaurants website to double check hours, etc.  The app lets you click
on the restaurant's website directly.  Very nice! (9) I love
findmeglutenfree app; (10) For restaurants, I use Find Me GF.  It works
great and I use it when traveling.  I've never had an issue with privacy or
whatever with either app and both are good with updating, which is
important; (11) I just used Find Me GF yesterday. I usually Google (search)
the "location and Gluten Free".  I shut the access to locations and cellular
service when I don't use my apps.  This person also shared the following:  I
have the following apps on my phone but not sure they are all working
anymore: gluten free registry; GIGRAP; is that GLUTEN FREE; GF Travel; Dine
GF; Find Me GF; iCanEat.

My favorite app for gluten free groceries is GF Overflow.  They are also on
the web so you can use their website with a search engine on your phone
(like Safari or Google) without having to download the app.

Overflow is awesome for grocery shopping or researching products.

GlutenFreeTravelSite (https://glutenfreetravelsite.com ), a website I
founded in 2008, along with our companion DINE GLUTEN FREE app and Gluten
Free Travel Blog, all help gluten free travelers find safe places to eat,
wherever they live or travel.