From:
Kathy Robison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:30:03 +1000

After 11 months of seeking a diagnosis for severe upper abdominal pain
which started 6 months after going gf following a biopsy diagnosis of CD, I
was finally referred to a GI in a major State hospital in Melbourne who
stopped looking at biliary tract disease and sent me off for a nuclear
medicine gastric emptying x-ray.

Bingo, the x-ray showed that I have delayed stomach emptying
(Gastroparesis).  I don't know how to express the way I now feel except to
say that I feel "real", authentic.

I suspect that gastroparesis is somehow connected to my CD.   Perhaps my
stomach was accustomed to emptying into a smooth small intestine without
effort and now that the folds and hairs (villi) have returned the stomach
has to work a lot harder to empty ( a second biopsy 6 months after original
diagnosis revealed that my gf diet was working and my small intestine had
returned to normal).    (I do not have diabetes with which Gastroparesis is
often associated.)

Does anyone have any experience/information re Gastroparesis and CD?  I
have been prescribed Cisapride tablets to be taken prior to meals.  Could
this condition be connected to a deficiency of digestive enzymes?  Is there
something else I can be doing with my diet to treat this.

Yeah, at last I will get well.  Persistence and self belief have seen me
through this as well as support from my family and employer, and the
generous contributors to this List. Thanks

Kathy Robison
Albury, Australia