From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:16:05 -0500

I would like to poll the group with several questions about holiday
parties. This is the season for parties and I seem to be getting more than
my share of invitations!  Although its been a little over a year since
diagnosis, I still feel inept in dealing with party situations. I never eat
food served with unknown derivatives so I tend to go into elaborate
explanations (in attempt to educate and justify).  But sometimes I wonder
if its necessary and would silence be better (and just say Im not hungry)?

So for you more experienced CF's (celiac folk)who take their diet very
seriously:

1. How do you assess your participation in the party (or do you just
decline invitations automatically)?
2. How do you not eat the food and decline gracefully without going into an
elaborate explanation of your medical situation?
3. What if its a 'dinner' or 'potluck' party versus an 'appetizer' or 'hors
d'euvre'(what do you do differently)? P.s. do you have any great appetizer
recipes to share?
4. Do you always eat something before you go to any party?
5. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

It is better to be Safe than Sorry!  I will summarize all responses for the
group.  Thanks in advance for sharing!  I really do appreciate your solid
and continued help!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!