From:
JOSEPH W ANDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JOSEPH W ANDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:51:02 -0600

Hi All-

I know this subject has come up in recent weeks, but my son was
prescribed "Omnicef" for an ear infection. The company- Abbott Labs IS on
the "gluten-free drugs" list of companies that claim that all of their
drugs are gluten free. However, this specific drug was not, and so I
called the company.  The rep. that I spoke with said that they have asked
all of their suppliers to list whether or not their ingredients were
gluten free. She said that of the responses they have received,
everyone-THUS FAR, has said their product does not contain gluten.
However, they have not received responses from all suppliers, so they
cannot guarantee there is no gluten. I AM CONFUSED.

Then- I call my doctor who looks at the ingredient list and compares it
to several other meds (such as Augmentin)-- and their ingredients were
almost the exact same. I realize there are contamination issues, etc.,
but I am just wondering-- if none of these companies GUARANTEE that there
products are 100%GF, then do we just do a trial run and see how he
reacts?

I searched elsewhere on the web for gluten-free drugs and the lists are
much smaller.

P.S. He has taken amox, augmentin, zithromax before and "seemed" to do
ok. He's never really been great though, so it's hard to tell just how
he's reacting to things. He's 11 months old.

Thanks for your help!
Richelle