From:
Jane Raese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Raese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:16:53 -0700

Dear Friends,

On Friday, March 30th to April 3rd I will be a chaperon with my daughter's high school choir from southern California. They will be attending the Heritage Festival which will be held at the Riverside Church (490 Riverside Dr. @ 120th Street in New York City). We will be staying at the Sheraton Meadowlands- Sheraton Plaza Dr. in East Rutherford, NJ. This event is highly structured so even though there may be many health-food stores and gluten-friendly restaurants I am restricted to the choir's itinerary.

I will get breakfast through the Sheraton's buffet.They said they have fruit, yogurt, eggs etc... so I feel OK about breakfast. We will arrive Friday in the evening and we are all not sure how to feed the kids when we get to NJ but one of the coordinators said that there was a McDonald's near the Hotel so I'm not exactly thrilled if that is my option when we get to the hotel.( I do plan to bring gf bread,cereal, Old Wisconsin Sausage sticks and snacks  so I will be prepared too!)

Question #1 Are there convenient  gluten- friendly places near the Sheraton in East Rutherford to eat a late supper (we arrive at JFK at 7:42pm) that I could suggest as an alternative to McDonald's? The clerk at the Sheraton also said that the closest grocery store chain nearby is a "Stop and Shop" Does this store have anything gf I could get in a pinch?

Question #2 On Saturday 3/31 we will be at the Riverside Church in NYC.We will go to a dinner cruise with Circle Line Cruise that evening. I have already spoken to the caterer and nothing can be done to accommodate me (the menu is all Italian!) So I need to bring my own supper. Is there any restaurant or health-food store walking distance from the church that is gluten-friendly so that I could piece together a meal to take with me on the Cruise? I will need addresses and phone numbers so I can call ahead and directions to get there by foot.(I would love to bring my own gf Italian from that restaurant called "Risotteria"but I have no idea how far away it is).

Question #3 On several occasions we will be with the kids seeing the sights and we chaperons have to "have lunch/dinner on our own" with the group of kids we are assigned so specifically I need information on gluten-friendly/gluten-free restaurants in the following parts of NYC 1.) Lunch in CHINATOWN 2.) Dinner in GRAND CENTRAL STATION 3.) Lunch in TIMES SQUARE. I need addresses and phone numbers please if possible.

One small positive note, we are scheduled to eat as a group at a restaurant called Mars 2112 (1633 Broadway). Even though the group has a pre-planned menu I spoke to the chef and he assured me that all I had to do is tell the server to get the chef and he can make me a plain grilled chicken breast with steamed vegetables and salad so that was a relief!

Just to let you know I have the book "The Gluten-Free Guide to New York", the list of restaurants from the Gluten-Free Awareness Program and recent summaries for eating in New York,but since I am not geographically familiar with the city I was at a loss as to whether any of these would be near the places the choir has to be. Your assistance will be greatly needed as I don't want to detract from the fun plus I have to have an eagle-eye on my choir girls in the "Big City"!

Sincerely,
Jane R. in Murrieta,California