From:
Joyce C Jamerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:58:58 -0400

Friends,

For several months now, I've observed your list and have gained such
valuable information!

I am undiagnosed for celiac, but definately gluten intolerant.  With your
help, I am more successful in eliminating gluten from my already
restricted diet.  I have fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis.
For 4 years now, I have been on a low oxalate diet because of the
physical pain oxalates cause.  Oxalates are found in many fruits &
vegetables; the highest being spinach, beets, eggplant, some greens, and
most beans.  To try to make this as short as possible, I avoid all beans
and peas except green beans and green peas, corn, all potatoes, wheat,
rye, barley, soy, sugar and now oats.  I can tolerate raw apples, grapes
and watermelon.  Peaches, pears have to be cooked to avoid allergic
reactions and my dairy intake is minimal.  In order to have enough
calories, I have continued to eat white rice.  Brown rice causes pain.
Oxalates cause pain within an  hour of ingestion; a burning aching pain
that stays for days, especially below the waist.   the fatigue is heavy
and my legs will ache so badly I cannot stay up.  (I'm not sedentary at
all, as long as I stay on the diet.)

None of my doctors (Gyn, Uro, Internist or 1 disastrous visit to a
gastro) except for an allergist has even ventured a guess.  His guess was
leaky gut syndrome.

Have any of you had experience with this type of pain, in regard to your
celiac?  I just recently challenged with brown rice and black beans, and
have not improved since going totally gluten free the last 6 months.
Can you add any insight or experience to what I'm already doing?  I've
just purchased and read "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and find that I am
already very close to that plan.

I don't mind staying gluten free, but solving the oxalate problem would
certainly free up my restricted diet a little.

Thanking you, I'm still searching.....

Joyce