From:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:36:46 -0400

At the request of a fellow list mate, I'd like to clarify my last post in which I stated:

"I just had a very disappointing conversation with Stephanie at Utz Foods.  The Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips are mislabeled and there should be an allergen warning on them for MILK and WHEAT.  The chips are packaged on the same line as the Utz Party Mix which contains pretzels and cheese nacho chips.  The bags are in the process of being properly labeled, but the date that these bags would hit the shelf is unknown.

I also inquired whether this occurs with other products.  Stephanie affirmed that it does with the whole tortilla chip line.   Those with wheat or milk allergies should AVOID all their tortilla corn chips, including the organic line."

The last sentence was a direct statement from the Utz representative and is not my recommendation.  This is an issue of cross contamination due to processing practices, as stated in the first paragraph,  and not allergens within the products themselves.   I apologize for not clarifying that in my original post.

Also, I have received two reports that a piece of the party mix was found in a bag of the corn chips (a piece of pretzel in one bag and a piece of nacho chip in another).

Sue

Susan Halter

"I need to put up with two or three caterpillars if I want to get to know the butterflies."
         The Little Prince

*******
*******