From:
Carla Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:04:50 -0700

Hello,
First, I would like to thank everyone who wrote in
answer to my question about IV's. I would also like to
apolizise for taking so long to summarize.

I believe frome the responses that I recieved that I
will definately question any solutions that include
medications, and may check others just to be extra
safe. Most agreed that "regular" solutions should all
be GF.

Here are the responses I recieved:

Sorry you have had to deal with medical personnel who
scoff at our requests. I do know that the saline
solution has aluminum (I reacted to it) and very
possibly the Dextrose solution does also. I would call
the pharmacy, since most solutions are mixed there.

Please let me know if you find out exactly what IS in
them. Rose Mary in W. Ky.

all gluten free as gluten would clog up the needles
Lil

Depends on the specific solution, but for the most
part I would think not.

Jerri in Md.

If it's a saline solution, why in the world would
there be wheat in it? If it's a medicine, then you
simply need to inquire about the status of the type of
medicine being used. Just my thoughts...Terri

Even TPN (total parenteral nutrition), the most
sophisticated IV solution, doesn't list wheat, rye,
barley, oats or even vinegar ;-) as an ingredient.

IV's are electrolyte solutions with sugar or sodium as
a basic ingredient,just like body. It's good to be
careful but please rest easy on this one. Sharon

This is just my understanding and I would check with a
physician or dietition. In order for the gluten to be
a problem you must ingest it. So, an IV even if it did
contain gluten would not touch the small intestine and
therefore not cause any problem. As a former hospital
HR person, I hate the fact that you were made to feel
you asked an inappropriate question. Next time, tell
the hospital personnel that you are not nuts for
asking, Since you have CD and gluten is an issue they
are nuts for not cheking this our and having the info
for you before giving you an IV. That is you shouldn't
have needed to ask the info should have been provided
for you. Also, IV solutions are prepared in the
hospital pharmacy for the real answer on the gluten
content talk to the pharmacy. Francie Kelley Austin,
TX

You are asking an impossible question. There is no
such thing as THE IV solution in a hospital. There are
multiple different mixtures which maybe given
intravenously depending on the reason for the IV.

Common reasons are to keep a vein open for potential
emergencies (durring surgery for example), hydration
(when people are unable to eat) or giving of
medications by that route. Often, IV solutions are a
concentration of dextrose (sugar) in water but may
have other substances in them. Harlene

"Regular" intravenous solutions do not contain gluten
in any form. They are usually pure sugar solutions.

Steven Plogsted, Pharm.D. Clinical Pharmacist
Nutrition Support Service

I had an operation 10 weeks ago and I didn't eat for 6
days. The IV is made of dextrose which is corn
derived. I am allergic to corn and didn't have a
choice. My intestines got very sore.  Check out any
painkillers you might get. They gave me Toradol and I
later found out(when I got home) that it has 10% grain
alcohol in it by pca pump injection. I got a full
blown celiac attack. Rosalie

They told me it was all liquid and could not contain
gluten,  they probably had no idea but I took their
word for it.

=====
"What is this, a Chinese fire drill?" -Sun Tzu
"This is no game for old men! Send in the boys!" -W. Hays
"In times of crisis, it is of utmost importance not to lose one's head."
-M. Antoinette "I'll worry about it tomorrow." -S. O'Hara