From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:31:12 -0500

I was very surprised to see the summary conclude that there was nothing
much to be done about the rash described. If the condition is indeed
rosacea, there is quite a bit you can do.

There is quite a bit you should do, if you want to prevent the condition
from getting worse. It cannot be cured, but can be controlled.

The later stages of rosacea, which is an autoimmune condition, result in
increasing redness and thinning of the involved areas of the skin, and
little broken blood vessels will appear. The nose, especially in men, may
become swollen, red and lumpy, and be quite disfiguring; this is called
rhinophyma. W.C. Fields had this problem, one of rosacea's most famous
sufferers. His alcohol intake may have aggravated this condition, but it
did not cause it.

For more information on rosacea and its treatment, visit:
http://www.rosacea.org/ They also have a free newsletter, which you can
read online or have mailed to your home.

A dermatologist can prescribe antibiotic topical creams or gels (not
antifungals) such as Metrocream or Metrogel, or an oral antibiotic like
tetracycline. Daily treatments as prescribed makes a big difference, along
with proper skin care and avoiding any situations that may trigger flares
(like cold winds, summer heat, alcohol, coffee--the triggers tend to be
different for everyone--but temperature extremes seem to be the most
frequent).

I used to look like both my cheeks had just been slapped, and had frequent
ugly pimples. People were always asking me if I just got back from
Florida, or why didn't I use sunscreen or saying I looked ready to have a
stroke.

I'm using Metrocream twice a day and following my dr's skin care advice,
which is mainly to be gentle and use non-irritating products. Now my
coloring is normal (except during occasional flares, like in extreme
summer heat) and I hardly ever get pimples (a gluten reaction is one thing
that brings them on!).  Unfortunately, I waited until my cheeks and chin
had some broken red capillaries, and those would need laser surgery to
remove; but I can cover them with any good foundation makeup, so I haven't
bothered.

So if you think you may have rosacea, visit your doctor! Something CAN be
done!

Been there, doing that!

Bobbi in Baltimore