From:
R & R Packett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:23:01 +0000

First of all I want to *thank* everyone who wrote in response
to my question about how long it takes the gut to heat when
first diagnosed with celiac, and what foods can help that
healing process.   From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate
the many kind and helpful responses!!!

Some of your advice for the new celiac:  It takes a long
time for the gut to heal, sometimes 3-4 weeks or longer.
In the meantime, eat rice, g/f bread, meat, chicken, and fish.
Several writers mentioned that they had trouble with bananas,
and one mentioned leaving off all tropical fruits.  L-Glutamine
and/or Slippery Elm can help heal the intestine.   One person
mentioned g/f Lemon Verbena tea.  Eat small amounts every
few hours, and warm baths sometimes helps.   I would add that,
if possible, have a family member help with the cooking.  A
family member needs to be very familiar with the diet anyway.

Just about everyone questioned the doctor's advice of going
GF before the endoscopy.   It stands to reason that if it takes
several weeks, or even longer, for the gut to heal, that an
endoscopy done within that time frame would show the tell-tale
celiac damage.  This is what my doctor told me.  I guess the
question becomes, what "window" of time does a person have
before the intestine heals enough to prevent a positive diagnosis??

Again, THANK YOU, everyone.

-Ruth