From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:26:55 -0800

I have wondered that too.  I was told that bleu cheese could be
started on bread and that's why it may not be GF.  Someone else told
me that it was such a small amount that we didn't need to worry about
it.  I have seen specific bleu cheeses and dressings that didn't have
wheat as an ingredient. At Panera they have a steak salad with
gorgonzola cheese and they say it's GF.

I think a lot of the inconsistencies come from things that "could"
have gluten.  On some lists they are forbidden.  Perhaps this is
because who ever did the list felt like it would be easier for the
person following the diet to deal with absolutes than a bunch of
maybe's.  That's fine for things you don't like but for someone who
really likes something they wouldn't mind checking with the
manufacturer to find out if they can eat it.
First, there's no question whatsoever that some blue veined cheeses
are GF. They
definitely do not all contain gluten. Many start the mold or culture on
something other than bread now. Boar's Head bleu cheese is GF and so is the
bleu cheese at Outback (although the bleu cheese dressing isn't conisdered GF
because of questions about another ingredient in it).

IMO and the opinion of many others, even the bleu cheese started on bread is
probably GF. Even if any gluten carries over, which is debatable, the amount of
culture used is so tiny that even if the whole culture were solid gluten, it
still wouldn't be measureable in the final product.

It's a personal decision, but I no longer worry about bleu cheese.