From:
Shelley Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:00:22 -0500

I'd like to get an idea from people about the role of their doctors in
establishing a proactive health plan for them.

   I was diagnosed almost two years ago and I think the gastro was a shrewd
diagnostician. But since them I have seen him only once and talked to him
once on the phone about a specific problem.

  He did not suggest any game plan for good preventative care. I have taken
all the initiatives, including suggesting the bone density testing that
revealed oseopenia .

   Yesterday I  scheduled a vist and went armed with a year's worth of
questions. Basically, he said that he was out of the picture unless I
had "a problem" and that my primary care doctor is the one I should deal
with. After I asked him specifially 3 times about follow up testing he
suggested I add some monitoring tests to my annual bloodwork ordered by
my primary care doctor and have it sent to him.

     I am more than willing to be a responsible, "in charge" patient. But
can you all give me some ideas about whichdoctor stays on top of your
progress? Who, for example, works with you on issues like osteoporosis?
Thanks!

  Any readers from CT(Fairfield County) who have favorite doctors, let me
know!  Shelley in CT