From:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:05:15 -0500

Just returned from a week at Disney World with our celiac 4&6 year olds -
some delightful gf experiences and a couple of horrible ones.  Wanted to
recap for other celiac visitors as we went specifically because we had read
how wonderful they are for special diets.

Priority Seating - a must for gf awareness.  Call the Disney Dine number
well in advance and reserve.  Note celiac/gluten free on the reservation.
Call the number they give you for the park chef 3 days before the meal and
reconfirm.  Was told 9 out of 10 special diet requests they get are for gf.

Hotel - Stayed at Disney's Dixie Landings.  Nice room, $5 daily charge for
fridge with no give on the "medical reasons" but I really didn't push it.
Took a toaster and gf breakfast for in the room meal to get going early.

Best Meals - Magic Kindom's Liberty Tree Tavern.  Most of the menu was
already gf, they brought in Cybros biscuits for us and made the kids
homemade, warm gf brownies for dessert.  Two chefs came to our table
(always ask to speak to the chef) to confirm the meal.  Absolute gf heaven
and it made me want to cry at the ease of it all.  So very appreciative to
Disney for that experience.  Chef Mickey's character breakfast at the
Contemporary. Gf waffles, fruit, eggs.  Wonderful, fun experience.  Didn't
know about the syrup and chose honey for the waffles.

Worst Meal - Chefs de France at Epcot.  Terrible language barrier, chef
was "too busy" to come to the table, paid $100 for fish and a vegetable for
4, was told "too bad you are in a french restaurant and can't eat bread"
and "Have never heard about gluten free.  For special diets like Kosher, we
get special food for them". Worst of all, my kids were contaminated and
spent two days at Disney throwing up and running to the bathroom.  Email me
back if you want to know where every restroom is and how to get there in 10
seconds flat.

Other good gf experiences - Crystal Palace: chef prepared meat and
vegetables from the kitchen as he didn't trust the buffet - think we ate
better than the rest.  Cinderella's Castle - meat and potatoes with nice
dessert - kids loved it, not the best food we ate during our stay.

Other bad gf experience - Pecos Bill at the Magic Kingdom.  Beef patty was
suppose to be gf, found a sesame seed on one and took them back to the
counter - they had pulled the bun off the meat when they saw their
mistake.  Easily fixed, but could have been a contamination disaster.

Walk up GF according to the Magic Kindom Park Manager as of 2/01:
hamburger and hot dog meats, baked potato (ask for gf butter the day you
will be there), shaved ice in fantasy land, strawberry and orange juice
bars, gf choices in ice cream shop on main street, gf candy by brand name
(you have to know which ones) in the candy shop on main street, popcorn,
rotessori chicken at Cosmic Rays.

Walk up GF according to the Animal Kindom Park Manager as of 2/01:  Flame
Tree BBQ meats (not BBQ itself), Tuskers roast chicken, corn on the cob in
Asia (no butter), soft serve ice cream, fruit smoothies.

All in all, we had a great gf time and can't wait to go back again.

Lindsay