From:
harrell reaves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:38:29 -0500

Last week I posted a summary pertaining to IV Meds.  In my summary I
stated that I had problems externally with wheat.  If I breathe in or
touch wheat my eyes swell and I break out in hives.  I know this is an
allergy to wheat.  The reason I am writing is because I had an
overwhelming response to this and I thought others would be interested
in knowing what I was told.

Many of you stated that being that CD is an autoimmune disease that when
our bodies come in contact with gluten (wheat), whether through
ingestion, inhaling or through the skin; that it causes antibodies to
come out and fight what it considered to be a virus.  This was
interesting to me because I knew my body internally would fight would it
came into contact with gluten, but I didn't realize that just by
inhaling wheat flour I would react so dramatically.

Lots of you stated that you had allergic reactions when inhaling wheat
flour. I did not have this reaction at first when I discovered my CD
condition.

So I wonder if the external condition comes from my body being weakened
from the internal damage of gluten or if the wheat allergy is just an
allergy separate from the CD?

Many of you stated that you also had what is called Enviromental Illness
where you have reactions from chemicals, smells, plastics,etc.  I am
sensitive to chemicals and smells, but
never had this problem until the CD.

The point of all this is that our immune systems become weakened and
other problems arise.  So, besides staying away from gluten, how do we
rebuild our immune system so that we can fight off things that never
used to bother us?

Sorry if this posting is long, I just find it to be very interesting
that so many of you responded with statements of external illnesses
along with the CD.

Connie in North Carolina