From:
Lynne Allison Weagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 18:17:43 -0700

Hi everyone!
     Just a short note to thank the many people who took the time to
write regarding my questions on potato starch flour and guar vs. xanthan
gum.  I am still in the process of returning individual thank-yous.
     To summarize:  There is a general consensus that "potato starch
flour" and "potato starch" are one and the same.  Potato starch is
lighter (in both taste and consistency) and often used in baking, or as
a thickener for soups, etc.  Potato flour is heavier and tastes more
strongly like potatos, but is occassionally used in recipes which also
have eggs as an ingredient.
     I also got a lot of responses about guar and xanthan gums.  It
seems that they both have the same purpose -- to replace the binding
quality of gluten in baked goods -- and are more-or-less interchangeable
as an ingredient in recipes (though exact measurements may take some
experimentation.)  However, many people report digestive problems
resulting from the high fibre content of guar gum and find xanthan gum
to be the better choice.  Personally, I plan to give guar gum a try
first, as my system isn't overly sensitive to foods other than those
containing gluten.  Also, xanthan gum is about 7 times more expensive
and would definitely be a luxury item on my grad. student budget!
     I really appreciated all the responses, as well as the recipes some
people sent.  I plan to make my first GF loaf of bread this evening,
and  some chocolate chip cookies over the weekend, and am very excited
at the prospect of enjoying "normal" treats!

Thanks again!

Lynne                      Vancouver, Canada