From:
Linda Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:20:21 EST

Thank you for 27 responses concerning an outbreak of a DH looking rash on my
daughters back 3 weeks after going on the gluten free diet. Responses were
varied but this is the best I can do to summarize - Thanks!

6 people said they also broke out for the first time shortly after going
gluten free.
(The non-medical opinion seems to be the body is ridding itself of last
gluten toxins).

Some said the rash went away in several weeks, some had to use medicine to
clear

Dapzone does seem to be the medicine of choice
 8 had used Dapzone effectively-under the care of a good dermatologist
 5 said they either could not or would not use dapzone because of side effects

Dapzone pros
 very effective in controlling the itching quickly
 6 people had been taking Dapzone for years with no problems and agree  it
does help clear the rash over time as long you stay gluten free

Dapzone cons
can cause a decrease in the average life of red blood cells so anyone  taking
it needs to take frequent blood tests to monitor the body's reaction
 3 people said Dapzone is actually a leprosy drug, and only masks the
problems of DH  -
1 person was on Dapzone so long that now he is on prednizone due to gut damage
3 people said Dapzone can harm the liver and cause serious anemia

10 people said finding a good dermatologist is the key - most said do not go
to a gastoenterologist about this.

5 people responded that because the rash is starting on my daughters back
they thought it probably was something else besides DH - normally DH is
symmetrical appearing on both hands, both thighs, both buttocks, etc.

However, 3 people that contacted me were also experiencing break outs on the
back only.

 3 people said they had treated their rash successfully with steroid creams
and ointments

1 person thought there was a good chance my daughter is cheating.

4 people said double check shampoo and lotion - anything that would directly
affect her back.

Hope this helps someone else - thanks for your responses!  Peace!