From:
Kat Walk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:01:16 EDT

A week ago I wrote of my troubles with constipation since being GF.  Thanks
for all the very helpful suggestions.  I have many to try.  Here is a summary
to be of help to others:

1. Everyone mentioned raising my water intake and exercise.
2. Eat lots of fruit and nuts
   -1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce daily
   -eat fruit solo, it digests fast and will ferment on top of slower foods
3. Raise vegetable intake
   -get your 5 a day
   -eat veggies with protein and don't eat protein with carb's
   -many mentioned the importance of eating beans
4. White rice is constipating, brown rice has fibre
5. Add whole grains (fibre)
   -br. rice flour, rice bran, bean flour, jowar flower, flax meal
   -eat less plain starches (potato, white rice)
6. Dried Fruit
   -prunes (sunkist are to be GF)
   -apricots
   -for one, if eaten in the evening it garuntees a morning movement.
7. Increase salads and cabbage
8. Some said dairy (specifically milk and cheese) caused constipation.  One
   said to slowly increase my milk intake.  (I would, but am to lactose
   intolerant--this  may work for others though)
9. Lessen my sugar intake
10. Ensure myself of enough daily fat--butter, peanut butter,oleo...
11. Try stool softeners, NOT laxative which cause bowel irritation (more of
    this is not needed)
    -Fibercon
    -Metamusil before supper
    -Citricel-gives less gas
12. Try Triphala by Planetary Foods
13. Psyllium--in the product Konsyl
14. Lactulose--a prescription medication
15. The constipation may be signs of a soy intolerance.
16. One kind person sent a great reference page @    http://www.health-
    truth.com/Articles/Candida/Candida3.htm

Again thanks to all so very much, and hope this summary is helpful to others
--Kat in Pittsburgh