From:
Donna Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:22:43 -0500

More responses:

11.  All I can tell you is that my celiac daughter was a projectile
vomiter-big time!  It was one of the tip offs to the diagnosis.

12.  My daughter, a celiac, began projectile vomiting at age 6 months.
She vomited as often as several times a day.  The vomiting coincided
with the introduction of solid foods.  Changing her formula did not
help, but then it may have been the solid foods.  Although my daughter
was not diagnosed with celiac disease until age 3, I am certain in
retrospect that the projectile vomiting was a symptom of CD.  She was
also very very tiny, with very slow growth from birth.  From age 2 to 3
she stopped growing entirely.  Growth did not recommence until she went
on the gluten-free diet.

13.  My daughter was diagnosed with CD at the age of 18 months.  Until
that point she had projectile vomiting on an almost daily basis.  It
seemed that no matter what she ate or drank, she always threw up in the
afternoon.

We changed formula several times and even put her on lactose-free milk.
At this point she appeared much better (which I now know is because her
small intestine was not able to digest the milk)...but continued to
vomit several times a week.  After the celiac was discovered she stopped
throwing up after only 3 or 4 days on the diet.  And I am happy to say
that after 12 years
on
the diet I believe she has only thrown up one time

14.  I know 4 men who had a problem with their pyloric (sp?) valve when
they were infants.  I guess the valve prevents food from moving back up
your esophagus, and it problems with it can cause projectile vomitting.
All had surgery to correct it.

Interesting connection here: All the men are wirey/thin in build,
excellent body co-ordination (three are athletes, one is a dancer),
quick reflexes, AND allergic to milk. You may  be onto something.

15.  a couple of things to consider that could cause projectile vomiting
in infants are both pyloric and anal stenosis.

16.  I have two sons.  One of them (definitely NOT celiac--now almost 20
years old) was a projectile vomiter.  A formula change ultimately solved
the problem, no surgery necessary.  The other son (now 15 years old with
some wheat intolerance, but no celiac diagnosis) never had an episode of
projectile vomiting.

17.  I am a biopsy diagnosed celiac. My diagnosis was 2 years ago.  I
was also diagnosed with celiac over 50 years ago, as an infant, but was
declared CURED then...

My brother had SEVERE projectile vomiting as a newborn.  At 6 weeks of
age he had surgery to correct pyloric stenosis.

He is tall & muscular, but sadly has had liver disease for the past 10
years!  He is now 47.  He has had blood testing for CD through the U MD
research done last year, but the tests were negative.

18.  I did not suffer from projectile vomiting as a child, but both my
brothers did.

When my mother took my oldest brother, Mike, to the doctor to ask about
the vomiting, she was told to continue feeding him as normal, (she was
weaning him onto formula).  "Don't worry; he will grow out of it", the
doctor said.  When my other brother, Sean was taken to a different
doctor for the same complaint, my mother was advised to return to breast
feeding.  "He is not yet ready for other foods", this new doctor said.

Neither brother vomited while being breast fed.  Both brothers
eventually ceased vomiting formula, although Sean went on to projectile
vomit some solid foods.

To this day we do not know why the vomiting happened or how it stopped.
My mother tried changing formulas, but the results were inconclusive.
My
brother Mike responded reasonably well to the soy based formula, but my
brother
Sean was as sick on it as he was on cow's milk.

Neither brother received surgery for the vomiting.  Family legend says
that my mother's brother Stephen also suffered from projectile vomiting
as an infant, but this cannot be verified.

19.  As an infant, I had projectile vomiting due to Pyloric Stenosis.
This was corrected with surgery.   (female respondent)