From:
Kevin M Haney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:54:15 -0500

> inconvenient setting up the cycle. But -- whoo! -- it sure makes bread
> quickly once you do get it set up. Doing without the second knead and rise
> is a convenience, and really, you should only have to babysit it once.

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents about my bread machine experiences.  I have
 the Welbilt (sp?) abm4100t (it's not in front of me, but I think that's the
 number).  I have found it very helpful to remove the paddle after the first
 mixing.  That way, it doesn't get kneeded again.  Even though I can't eliminate
 the 2nd kneeding, as with the Zo, since I've taken out the paddle after the
 first kneeding, it never really gets kneeded again.  I've found that all the
 2nd kneeding does is drop the height of the bread, making the resulting bread
 shorter and heavier.  Since doing this, I've also switched to Red Star rapid
 rise yeast, and changed the "cycle" to Rapid Normal (instead of Normal).  As
 long as I have the ingredients right, it will rise to the top of the pan (with
 three cups of flour) every time.

Getting the paddle out is no big deal.. I just wet one hand, and turn the pan
 upside down over my hand... catch the blob of dough as it falls out;  usually
 the paddle comes out with the dough... then, I kneed the dough into a nice
 round ball, and plop it back in again!  Putting it into a ball helps the dough
 to stay rounder on top, more like real flour.  Without doing this, the top
 tends to "crack" or be uneven.

Kevin Haney