From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:06:28 -0700

Hi All--

  Thanks to all who responded to my question about whether or not Zyrtec (tablets) are GF. I mentioned that Pfizer would not commit to a guarantee when talking to my pharmacist, but would research the question and call back in a week. They stated that they are not aware of what ingredients are used by their suppliers and, therefore, would not be able to guarantee GF status on a long-term basis.

  According to 98% of the replies I received, respondants thought Zyrtec tablets were GF. A few people have opted for the liquid, which is definitely GF. There were a few questionable reactions reported by a few people and I've pasted those in below. I also experienced a reaction to the one tablet I took on Tuesday night - that being moderately severe low back pain that came on quite suddenly an hour after taking Zyrtec. The pain continued through most of the next day until the medication wore off (approximately 17-18 hours after dosing). I have to say that Zyrtec was very effective at relieving my allergy symptoms, but the back pain was more severe than I'm willing or even able to put up with on a regular basis.

  Here are the responses I received that indicated out-of-the-ordinary reactions to Zyrtec. The prescribing information on www.zyrtec.com lists the various side effects one might experience (and the back pain I experienced was listed under "other"). Thanks, again, for everyone's time and effort in replying. I hope this summary puts some at ease about Zyrtec. Unfortunately, cross contamination issues are probably always going to be a problem for us.  ~~Ayn in Alabama
  _____
  I have used zyrtec for years with no problems. They use to say it was gf and now when I called about a month ago I spoke with the Pfizer pharmacist professional and he said that there are no gluten ingredients but they don't know about cross contamination.
  _____
  You might want to think twice before taking zyrtec - just one dose of it landed me in the ER. I had a neurologic reaction to it that was one of the most HORRIBLE experiences of my life, and I've been through a lot medically. I don't know if gluten had
anything to do with it, and I'm not claiming that zyrtex contains gluten - but I will say that the ER doc said they see "a couple" adverse reactions to zyrtec each month.
_____
    My doctor gave me zyrtec... I took it for a week and didn't notice any difference in my allergies ... but I was emotionally 'off'.  A few weeks later I figured I would try again.  I took one tablet around 7am and by 3pm I fell deep into depression.  Thank goodness the depression left when the pill wore off.  That is a typical reaction for me if I eat gluten....  but my sister told me Zyrtec is corn based and also has lactose...  both can throw me off sometimes.
  _____
    Because of the constant doubt regarding Zyrtec, I get my Rx filled with the liquid.  I've never had a problem with it, but get skin spots upon taking the tablets.  (Don't have DH, but will get a strange spot with gluten exposure). People seem to come down on both sides of this issue with equal zeal - but for me, the liquid is the way to go!