From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:27:04 -0400

Last week I had posted a list of gf Nestle products. I got several
messages asking/telling me several items they had been previously told
were gf. So I called back Nestle.

Apparently you have to call multiple 800 numbers to determine the gf
status of various foods manufactered by Nestle. Everyone was helpful,
but it sure is a pain. I don't think I have obtained all the numbers
required for ALL the products made by Nestle, some products were handled
by several numbers; however the following are what I have to date and I
have indicated what I was told by each department.

1-800-225-2270 General Number can get information concerning beverages,
baking products, Ortega, Butoni refrigerated items, Sweet Success and
Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Butoni, Ortega and baking items are on a
printed list.

These items are in addition to those listed in my previous message and
are not on a printed list:

Teas, ready to drink (ie, in a bottle)--all
Teas, soluble (ie instant, powdered)--all
Cocoa--all
Nestle Quick--Chocolate, Strawberry
Carnation Instant Breakfast--all EXCEPT for malt
Sweet Success

1-800-637-8534 Consumer Relations. Cover products like Carnation
Coffeemate liquid and powder. They do NOT have a gf list. Need to ask
for individual products but am not sure of their complete product line
at this number.

CoffeeMate liquid (refrigerator) and powder are gf.

1-800-258-6728 for Confections. This includes candy, seeds, and baking
supplies.

The printed list is being sent to me and was too long/complicated to do
over the phone (we tried). I should have this list within 2 weeks and
will post it at that time.

1-800-727-0050 for all prepared/canned foods such as Ortega, Butoni,
etc. Contadina products were under this section (Nestles sold the tomato
product line to Del Monte--I called Del Monte & they are sending me a
list). I was told that Butoni is taking over the rest of the Contadina
product line. They will phase out the name Contadina and the products
will be sold under the Butoni name. They are sending more information on
this and I will include this with the seed, candy list.

They are also sending me a list, however I suspect this is the one I had
previously provided on Ortega and Butoni.

The gf status of the Butoni pasta sauce are not on a printed list
(provided by Sara):

Garden Vegetable Sauce
Marinara Sauce
Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce
Tomato Herb Parmesan Sauce
Pesto with Basil Sauce
Pesto with Sundried Tomato Sauce
Reduced fat Pest with Basil Sauce
Mushroom Marinara Sauce

1-800-225-1180 for prepared/frozen products--most have some form of
gluten or hidden sources of gluten. Lean Cuisine, Stouffers, Ortega and
Butoni. The woman who was helping me (Sara) was EXTREMELY interested in
celiac, what does gf mean, etc. We talked about how hard it was to get
information concerning Nestle gf products and possible solutions. She
even looked up gluten on her glossary and read it to me. It was accurate
except for the number of celiacs (said 1:2500). This is how I found out
to call about CoffeeMate, which clearly pointed out the difficulty in
obtaining a complete list of Nestle's gf products. Apparently the VP for
this division is coming through the department this week and this issue
will be brought to his attention. Nestle's is in the process of moving
all their customer relations departments to NE Pennsylvania. They will
still have seperate departments, but will be just across the hall.

I must comment on the help that Sara provided in getting this
information, she even called me back 2 times with information, talked
with someone above her and I suspect she is still looking for more
information. With all the calling I have done to Nestle's and other
companies her service really stood out.

1-800-288-8682 Food Service division. No gf list. They have alot of
products under brands such as Stouffers, LJ Minors, Lean Quizine,
Ortega, Chef Mate Line, Trio, etc. Since these are manufactered in a
different plant from the retail items they MAY contain different
ingredients that MAY change the gf status of the product. (ie some of
the retail Ortega salsa's are gf, however the food service Ortega
product may NOT be gf). So get the product name, bar code number and
call to find out if it is gf. I haven't tried to verify the gf status of
anything at this number but got the impression it may not be a simple
phone call.

I am still NOT convinced that I have located all the gf products made by
Nestle, so if anyone else has been told something from Nestle was gf and
it was not on any of the lists I provided PLEASE let me know and I will
check it out. This way the lists will be in my 3 messages (one sent last
week, this message and the one listing candy/seeds).

Although Sara really stood out in her help in getting accurate
information everyone I talked with at Nestle's was helpful and tried to
be as accurate as possible.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA