From:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:32:00 EST

Here is a summary of responses I received:

***********************

Dear listies - I sent a response to Jon Billig, concerning his inquiry
about GF status of 3 medicines and who the manufacturers are.

You can look up manufacturers of prescription medicines, and contact
information, in the PDR (Physicians' Desk Reference).  Most libraries have
it.  Call around for one that has a current edition (2000 or 2001).

Sam's Club was carrying the 2000 edition, don't know if it is still there.
At discount.  Expensive book, though - huge hardback.

Here is the manufacturer information on the 3 medicines Jon Billig inquired
about, from the PDR.  Please note the caution about generics - they are
different manufacturers than the brand name and may be made differently:

*If it's the brand name Zovirax, not the generic, it is made by Glaxo
Wellcome.

*If it's' brand name Vicodin, not generic, it is made by Knoll Labs.

*If it's Tenormin brand name, not generic, it is made by AstraZeneca.

***********************

The generics may be made by other companies, and may be made a different way.
 For this reason, I have the doctor check "may not substitute" and buy the
brand name, and check with the manufacturer as to whether it is gluten-f
free and lactose- free (I need lactose-free).

Manufacturer's phone numbers are listed in that book as:

 Glaxo Wellcome:  888 Talk-2 GW
 Knoll Labs:      800 240-3820
 AstraZeneca:     800 236-9933

***********************

Percocet is a little stronger, but the same kind of pain relief, and it's GF,
according to the book from Stokes. Just take less.

***********************

The generic equivalent, hydrocodone is gluten free.  My pharmacist called the
Company.  I did not like taking the hydrocodone and quit after 48hrs.  It
MADE ME NAUSEAS AND CONFUSED.

***********************

I took Vicadin and I always call for each prescription.  My guess is I might
have gotten a generic.  I alway call the drug store and ask them what brand
they use.  You could try that.

***********************

Percocet is similiar to Vicadin as far as pain relief.  I was also told it
was gluten free.  Again, check the brand that your drug store uses.

Several people have mentioned using only name-brand prescription medications
to assure GF status.  I have had good luck with generics.  I find out from
the pharmacist who manufactures the generic they stock, and usually they can
give me the phone number so that I can check.  A couple of times I have had
to do a web search for manufacturer information, but I have always been
successful in getting contact info.  The pharmacy uses the same suppliers
routinely, and this has saved me having to check each time.