From:
Krista Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:33:20 -0400

Hi everyone,
I have been biopsy-diagnosed since Nov. 1988. I love the wonderful way
that I feel and enjoy eating my gf food everyday, because I know I won't
have the gas, bloating, constipation, anemia (iron shots) ...

My question concerns my 6 year old daughter. Knowing that this is
hereditary, I have been keeping an eye on her to catch any problems
before she gets the major medical problems (severe anemia and all that
goes with it). Sometimes I think I'm ready to pronounce her celiac as
well, but certainly don't want to do that if I don't have to. However,
she does get constipation and has gas at times, more than normal, and
these were my symptoms along with the severe anemia.

So, my first question is, when do I really start investigating medically
whether she is celaic or not? I mean, how long do I wait, or how severe
do I let the symptoms get?

Second, she eats a lot of gf food. Really, the only things in her diet
that have gluten are cereal, bread (not eaten daily), crackers (not
eaten daily), pasta (which she loves) and bbq sauce (maybe once or twice
a week). She eats very health, not much junk food (candy, cookies,
chips, soda), eats lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and is a good eater,
in fact, other than  items mentioned above, she is gf. Therefore, my
question is, would her eating mostly gf bring out more of the symptoms
or be the trigger in her for Celiac?

Krista