From:
Susan Garramone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Garramone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:05:19 -0500

Hello All,

    My family and I just returned from a trip to Greece.  Besides being a beautiful country to tour, it is an easy country in which to eat GF successfully.
    As many of you told me prior to the trip, Celiac is not widely known in Greece.  However, many staples in the Greek diet happen to be GF.  For lunch or dinner restaurants offer plenty of grilled meats (marinated or coated in olive oil and fresh spices), delicious salads and wonderful bean and tomato dishes.  They also offer many meat dishes (lamb, pork, veal) baked in the oven with potatoes and other veggies.  And of course there are plenty of grilled fish options. We didn't encounter many issues with possible contamination from flour coated or fried food and in many instances my sons were able to have French fries because potatoes were the only item the restaurant fried .  If we had questions we had GREAT luck using the Triumph Dining card in Greek though many people did speak English!
    Breakfast was a little more tricky as the offerings typically include lots of bread products but there was ALWAYS Greek yogurt with honey or fresh fruit available.  Some hotels also offered eggs, meats and cheeses.  Having been to Europe previously we knew to bring a supply of rice cakes and corn thins to supplement breakfast.  I was prepared to eat stuffed grape leaves and hummus all week but believe it or not I couldn't get a stuffed "vine" leave to save my soul!  My non- Celiac son also couldn't find Baklava but really I had no sympathy:)

    Our only true issue was on our flight home when our GF meals were definitely NOT GF - they came with salad on bread, fish with white sauce and a big fat roll on top!  Luckily we had our snack bag of Breakfast bars, think thin bars and corn thins or it would have been a very hungry 10 hour trip!

    If you are thinking of a trip to Greece - go for it!   It is an amazing country and quite easy for "celiac" navigation!

Thanks to all who provided valuable insight before we went!

Susan in MA

*******
*******