From:
Jack Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:16:10 -0600

Hi,
I can help with some botanical info on Annatto.

Annatto is a food colorant that comes from a tropical American tree,
sometimes grown in Florida and other warm climes as an ornamental. Its'
scientific name is Bixa orellana family Bixaceae. It is also known by the
common names Anattotree, Lipstick Tree and Achiote. It is a member of the
Dicot (Dicotyledoneae) subclass of the flowering plants which makes it
extremely unlikely to contain gluten. Gluten is present only in some members
of the grass family (see Kasarda in the file "CELIAC GRAINS" for more info).
Botanically, the Bixaceae is VERY far removed from the grass family.
I know nothing about what additives or preservatives might be added to make
it most useable in food processing.

Jack Alexander              [log in to unmask]
Chief Plant Propagator, The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard Univ.