From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:53:47 -0700

I got a couple of responses to my recent post reporting on our trip to
London with out daughter who has multiple food allergies in addition to
celiac disease.  One person gave me a number of detailed suggestions to
help deal with multiple food allergies and reflux, which we will try in
the future if our work with the London nutritionist (see my other post
"The Food Doctor") doesn't relieve our daughter's symptoms.  Thanks!
Isn't it amazing how nice people are on this list?  If you are
interested, I will forward to you their email.

The second post was from a woman who had recently traveled to the UK
and posted on this list recently.  Our subsequent email conversation
reminded me that people with multiple food allergies really need to
bring their own food on the airplane.  We flew British Airways which
has an amazing selection of meals, from high fiber, low fiber, Asian,
vegan, low uric acid, gluten free, dairy free, fruit plate, East
Indian, South East Asian, etc.  But none of the meals is ideal if you
have multiple food allergies like our daughter.  The gluten-free meal
has egg and dairy, the vegan meal has gluten, the fruit plate has
gluten, egg, and dairy... so when you travel, be sure to bring your own
food.  British Airways had no problems with us bringing food as long as
it wasn't liquids.  You should plan on eating any fresh produce you
bring while on the plane as the customs officials may not let you bring
it into your destination country when traveling international.  A
letter from a doctor documenting your need to bring food with you
because of celiac disease and food allergies always is nice to have
although it wasn't ever necessary for us to show it.  We took two
copies and I kept one with me and had the other very visibly displayed
in our luggage where I packed any food.

Jackie in AZ