Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:31:19 -0500

Here is the summary of suggestions given for Laryngeal reflux (LPR)...
for anyone wondering... this is a refux that is in the throat. It can
cause hoarseness, sore throat, coughing, lump in throat or something
stuck in throat feeling. It often happens during the day and is worse
2 hours after eating. Usually no burning in the esophagus with this
type. Thanks for all of the help!!!  Lydia

SUMMARY:
  I  take Primal Defense which really helps if I take it 2X day.  Or I
take colostrum, which binds the bad bugs from growing.  both are very
helpful, though it doesn't happen right away.  On the other hand, if
you could convince your dr to treat you for Helicobactor, I think your
reflux would go away.

   I would start using the powdered form of L-glutamine.  Not the
pills, the powder so as you drink it it starts to heal the esophogus.
Good luck, deb

  I am now taking Omerprazole 20mg twice daily. I take it after dinner
and before bedtime, this seems to work for me. I would  not allow this
to go on too long as the price paid is too high.

There is an alkalinizing diet (reduces acid, makes your body more
alkaline i.e. pH is higher - acid is lower pH). You can find it on the
website for people with PKD (polycystic kidney disease) owned/run by
Diane Smith (also for people with polycystic liver diesease or PKL):

http://www.pkdiet.com

There are links at the top to Diet, Foods, Spices, and more
information. Her website is very helpful for reducing acid-producing
things in the diet and becoming less acid and more alkaline.

I had a bout with it, dgl licorice chewed several times per day helped
keep acid down.  Red Delicious Apples seem to have a good effect for
others.
Lastly, if all else fails, sometimes the problem is caused by too little
acid in the stomach, even though this seems conter intuitive. A 3 day
trial
of Apple Cider Vinegar will confirm this.  If it stops the problem,
you know
you have too little acid.  IF it makes it worse, never try it again.

Have you ever looked into other food intolerances? Dairy is a very
common
cause of GI problems. You may want to eat simple whole foods for a
while and
avoid all the processed stuff.

You may want to check out deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) and l-
glutamine.

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com/page10.html If you scroll down about
1/3
the page there is some information on LPR.

I get TERRIBLE pain, reflux, heartburn from milk proteins. It took me
a long, long time to figure this out. And casein (especially) is in so
many foods- including a lot of wines (used as a fining agent).

Try taking glucomannan with the meal. It's a natural fiber and causes
the food to be digested along more of the digestive tract ... and
oddly enough,
it helps the food to be digested *better*. I think it helps with
reflux too.

Ginger is noted for helping with this too, and vinegar with the meal.
(acidic foods actually help your digestion). Cayenne is also healing,
though that isn't exactly intuitive.

What really caused most of my reflux, turns out to be tea.

The book Why Stomach Acid is Good For You is an excellent book.

Other suggestions: see a dietician, drink ginger ale or 7-up or selzer
water and no cola, elevate head with pillows.

*******
*******