From:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:14:33 -0600

Thank you to everyone that replied back to me, lots of great ideas.

My personal hair loss motivated me to take vitamins specific for hair,
skin and nails which I purchase through Home Shopping Network - they
are Andrew Lessman's and very easy to absorb.  This has worked well for
me and I hope that you find an answer as well.
Take care
Mary

I have had the same problem and am a celiac.  I have found that eating
more
salmon, and flaxseed oil have greatly improved this condition.  Let me
know
what you find out.  Could be related to an essential fatty acid
deficiency
from my experience.
Michele

I have tried taking B vitamins and recently was told to try prenatal
vitamins....they have helped  lot!
Susan

Our daughter's hair fell out and her eye lashes thinned when she was
acutely sick with celiac, but once we put her on a high protein diet all
of it grew back.  She is eating 1/2 lb. of hamburger a day but some
other protein (fish/eggs/pork/chicken) at another meal.  When she was so
sick in my reading I learned that hair loss is a sign of protein
deficiency.  So we increased her protein (she must not have been
absorbing it) and it started
to grow back.

Paula in Pa.

Hi there,
I battle blepharitis each year as a seasonal thing (spring), but have
know others who fight it year round. I have not noticed eyelash loss,
but that might be true for me also. However, I wanted to mention that
you can use baby shampoo to keep blepharitis from occurring so you don't
have to go the eye drop route. You just use a little baby shampoo and
water on a Q-tip and gently scrub the edge of your eyelid where the
eyelashes are. Now I don't know if this would aggravate your situation
with the eyelash loss or not, but this method was recommended by my
doctor as a preventative measure. He said most foks won't bother doing
it. Good luck!
Shirley in VA
Hi there,

Yes, I experienced this too and was also told it was blepharitis, but it
wasn't.  Things I would check out (as I did):

Thyroid levels
Iron and FERRITIN levels

If you currently take steroid meds of any form (prednisone, cortef,
etc.), you may want to see if that is contributing to the loss.

Hang in there,
Brooke

I have DH, and it hits my eyes very badly.  When a child the only
symptom of the DH was on the eyes.  I was not diagnosed as celiac or DH
till my early 30s.  The other celiac symptoms were there, but went
undiagnosed.  It wasn't until I was having major body symptioms of the
DH that "I" realized the DH was on my eyes.  My doc didn't want me on
dapson.  So I changed docs.  Got on dapsone, and do well now.  If I
forget a day, it usually hits my eyes first.  If I am not careful with
makup and products used on my eyes, I will develope problems even on the
medication.  I would get the crusting, but mostly eye sores on the lash
line, brow line, on or under the lash line.  Very itchy and painful.

Don't know if this helps, but it is what I go through.

Sherri In Texas