From:
"Mary R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:27:22 -0400

Here's a recipe I just came across and was delighted to find.  I found it
on this website: http://www.kitchenlink.com ,  which Mary Elliot clued me
into.  Enjoy-  Mary R.

Bunuelos of Colombia, SA

Published by Ben (44 years old) from USA, California

Ingredients:    1 cup corn starch
                2 cups grated sharp cheese (hard crumbly cheese)
                1 egg
                1/4 teaspoon salt
                1 teaspoon sugar
                1/2 teaspoon baking powder
                Milk, 1 - 2 cups

Method: Prepare a pot with oil for frying put it on medium low to have it
ready. I use a 5" deep by 8" wide pot filled a  little more than half way.
Grate or crumble cheese. Add corn starch, sugar, salt, and baking power.
Mix well. Add egg and1/2 cup of milk. Start to mix, while slowy adding more
milk. You must be very careful not to add too much milk. If the mix becomes
too liquid, won't hold its shape, then add more corn starch and cheese in a
1:2 ratio. You will know when the dough is properly mixed by preparing one
for frying. Take enough dough to form a ball about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in
diameter by rolling it between your palms. The dough should be sticky and
begin to deform a few seconds after you make it. If so then it is ready. If
it stays as a ball add more milk slowly. If it deforms too rapidly add more
corn starch and cheese. By now the oil should be ready or close to it. Be
careful not to have it too hot. The bu nuelos (pronounced boon-wae-lows. The
"n" has a curved line on top, it is the letter enyeah) should not brown too
fast, but slowly and evenly.  It is good to moisten your hands with a few
drops of water after making a bu nuelo. Make a ball about 1 1/2 - 2" round
by rolling the dough between the palm of your hands. Quickly place it into
the hot oil before it deforms too much. Continue making and placing the
bu nuelos in the oil one by one until you have one layer. The bu nuelos will
float and turn themselves as they fry. When they turn a medium golden brown
color they are ready. Of course they won't be all ready at the same time.
So keep an eye on them and when one is ready put another in its place. It
is good to place a paper napkin in a bowl to hold them when they are done.
The paper will absorb some of the oil. I usually place a paper napkin
between each layer to absorb as much oil as possible. Eat them when they
are warm with a beverage. If you have any left over reheat them in an oven
just until they are warm. These are eaten throughout Colombia, especially
in the morning for breakfast.