From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:53:28 -0700

I received some interesting responses to my post about experimenting with
wheat grass.  [My comments in brackets.]
--------------------
Hi Valerie,  I believe you're on the right track.  Wheat grass in and of
itself is just fine...the gliadin is in the wheat berry on the head.  If the
head never develops then it is not possible to get the gluten at all.  I
have vitamins that have wheat grass and barley grass in them.  I called the
manufacturer and they said their supplier guarantees that they cut the
grasses at 6 weeks and that no head ever develops.  Another company I called
(vitamins) said they couldn't tell me if their supplier grew grass only or
used the wheat grass from "left-overs" in which case there could be gluten
all over the grass.  Additionally, since the wheat never goes to seed, in
the nutritional wheat grass you're talking about, the idea is that all the
good stuff that the plant has to offer is still in the plant since none of
its nutrients/energy were expended on going to seed...providing energy for
the plant to grow large.  So, wheat grass is great, from what I hear, if its
indeed just "grass".
   So now you can get out all that grain in the garage and start growing
your own wheat grass...I have a friend who has beautiful little flats of all
sorts of grasses that she juices...they are beautiful "house plat" and she
trims them with scissors to harvest!  Sweet!  Enjoy!   Kate
------------------------
Valerie, I've heard the same thing about it being GF.  I decided to try
Bolthouse Farms' Green Goodess drink, which has wheat grass, barley grass,
etc. in it.  I had one on Wednesday and I felt fine - in fact, I felt great!
  It gave me so much energy.  I was flying all afternoon.  I usually get the
mid-afternoon slump.  I will have one today with lunch (it provides 2
servings of fruits and veggies in the bottle), to see if I have a reaction.
I've had those Garden of Life green supplement pills with wheat grass, etc.
in it and they made me feel good as well.

I wrote to Bolthouse Farms and they said that all of their drinks are GF,
including the Green Goodess.  They explained to me about it being cut early
enough before it sprouted into a grain.  They were very nice and helpful.
Kelli  Wyoming
------------
VAlerie, I had a severe reaction to wheat grass--profound fatigue.  I loved
the taste so it was a big disappointment.  It was not clear to me the
problem was gluten.  A lot of things, in addition to gluten, set off fatigue
in me.

When I tried wheat grass juice, it was from a juice bar.  I watched it being
cut and juiced.  I was also buying blocks of wheat grass at that time from
the juice bar to take home to my cats to eat.  I did not see anything that
looked like seeds.  I think it must have been something else in the grass
that set off the fatigue.  Some possibities that occur to me are that it
caused some kind of rapid detox that my body was not able to handle, that it
contained very high amounts of oxalates
(when I am absorbing too much dietary oxalate it makes me fatigued) or that
I am also sensitive to something else in wheat in addition to the gluten.

Seeing your post makes me want to try it again sometime, but not now because
I recently had a repetitive gluten exposure (shampoo formula was changed to
include hydrolyzed wheat protein--I didn't read the label), and my
intestines are now damaged.  Mary
-------------
Hi Valerie - I also use wheat grass, including the frozen stuff and love it.
It is a seasonal food tho and will cool your system. I suspect you run hot
tho ;)  I've had one shot this month and will probably take another next
month.  When the hot weather gets here I'll do a shot a day.  Symptoms of
too cool a system include, constipation, tummy ach and difficulty focusing -
there are more symptoms, can't think of them now. Nancy :)
[This last one is from my non-celiac daughter-in-law who is very supportive.
  She looked it up & found this for me after I told her I was trying wheat
grass!]

Hey, you haven't had any glutinous reactions to the wheat grass, huh? You
won't! (yay!) Look at this site I found.  Adonnia :)

http://www.wheatgrass.com/introtowg/factsheets/wheatallergiesfactsheet.html