From:
Kelsea Tuttle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelsea Tuttle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:09:08 -0400

I only received one informative answer about Aspen, but it is helpful, so it is
as follows:

"The coffee shop that I mentioned (Parallel 15) does have muffins and cookies
that are GF.  I spoke to the gal that does their baking.  She said that she
doesn't have a dedicated kitchen for GF baking, but that she does clean her
equipment thoroughly.  She sounds knowledgeable, but said that if someone
was highly sensitive, they probably shouldn't risk it.

My husband also reminded me that there is a booth at our farmer's market
that has GF baked good.  The market is held on Saturdays here in town...you
want to try to get there early to have the best choices.

And there is a pizza place that does GF pizza at the Highland Village (the base
of one of the ski areas here).  It's just a few minutes from downtown and
easy to get to by bus if you're not driving while you're here.  Their address
and phone number is...

Highlands Pizza Company
Aspen Highlands Base
133 Prospector Rd. #4114B
Aspen, Colorado 81611
(970) 920-3747

They're only open Thursdays thru Sundays and I haven't had a chance to call
them to confirm they still offer GF pizza.  But they were a couple months ago
when my husband and son went there.  Might be worth calling ahead if you
decide to go.  The bus to the Maroon Bells leaves from there, so you might
want to combine it with a trip up to see that.

As far as shopping...the store with the largest GF selection is Clark's Market
which is near the post office.  They carry products by Pamela's, Glutino,
Tinkyada, Bob's Red Mills and a couple other GF manufactures.

Also, many of the restaurants here are sensitive to people with "food issues"
and are aware of the ingredients in their food.  We've had good luck with the
Steak Pit and there are three nice sushi restaurants in town.  There's pretty
much every type of food and I just recommend calling ahead and talking to
one of their chefs."

If anone has anything else to add, please do share!!!