From:
Hot Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:22:04 -0400

I will be the first to admit that Trader Joe's does fall down in
terms of customer communication services, especially at corporate.
It is very difficult to get through to a knowledgeable person when
there is a question about labeling.  And, over the years (and I mean
over 12+ years of shopping at TJ's), I have uncovered labeling
mistakes regarding not only gluten, but also other ingredients,
package weights and calorie counts.  These problems might affect less
than .05% of what I buy there.  But, overall, my experience with
Trader Joe's is a positive one, and I feel like they deserve some
credit in providing a selection of products that many CAN safely eat!
Reading posts on this list, you'd think they were the devil in
disguise, and a stupid and uncaring company -- and, at least IMHO,
this is not true.

[Since someone asked about this specifically:  I have tried one
variety of the TJ's GF granola -- Cranberry Maple Nut -- it is
delicious and I am having no discernable reaction.  It is made on
equipment shared with diary, soy and nuts (it HAS nuts in it, for
goodness sake) -- but I have no sensitivity to any of those.]

My experience with TJ's is that I SELDOM buy anything (even if marked
GF) IF it is made on equipment shared with wheat products.  I notice
that TJ brands try very hard to make sure this is on the label when
it applies -- *unlike* MOST other mainstream brands in this country,
who seldom disclose this information.  If it is made in a "facility"
with wheat products, it is usually no problem for me.  But "shared
equipment" with wheat?  Frequently a problem for me.  The only
exception is TJ's GF waffles (not the banana, which I've never tried,
but plain) -- although these say they are made on shared equipment
with wheat, I've never had a reaction.  Although I have had a
reaction to EVERY package of GF Van's Waffles and the GF Wild Oats
waffle brands that I have purchased at other stores.  Individual
reactions to these can surely vary, but I'm only saying I,
personally, have had no problems.  I see posts all the time here from
people who have no reactions to Vans, either.  I won't touch 'em
after being burned without exception -- but that is just ME, and not
YOU.  (Code for "don't flame me over this!")

I buy many TJ products which, though not marked gluten-free, list no
gluten on the labels -- and, so long as they are not marked with
"shared equipment" statements, I seem to do OK.  Every once in awhile
I strike out on this -- in particular, I have a severe reaction to
TJ's refrigerated Chicken Salad, even though no gluten ingredients
are noted on the label, and there is no "shared equipment" statement.

In Indiana, TJ's carries a bread called "Rye-less Rye."  It is
incredibly good, and I eat it like there is no tomorrow -- never had
a single reaction.  It is made in a dedicated gluten-free facility.
I don't think they sell it on the West coast.

So, my experience with TJ is varied, but they carry SO many items
that are interesting and make my personal diet a lot more palatable
-- AND do not seem to contain any gluten (I'm pretty sensitive).  My
life would be the pits without TJ's.  In our city, we have no Whole
Foods and also none of the major grocery chains here have made any
local commitment to providing GF products.  It's very hit-and-miss.
TJ's is like a treasure trove for me. :-)  I hope, as consumers, we
can try to be appreciative of their efforts, instead of trying to
tear them down at every turn.  I also believe it is important to
point out to them when something is clearly wrong, and help them to
be better.

For whatever it is worth, I have much more luck reporting any
problems to the local store manager, who seems to know "who" to call
at corporate to get answers or resolutions to problems. And, speaking
of local stores, I think most would be hard pressed to find a store
with better or more upbeat employee help at the store level.  I would
plotz if even one person at my local Kroger would have half the good
attitude of pretty much EVERY TJ's employee.

I am mostly writing this note because, if I'd never been to a Trader
Joe's before and read what goes on this list, I'd probably never walk
through their doors.  I think, like with everything else, you have to
use your own sensibilities and cautions.  And I do recommend, for the
most part, to avoid any foods -- TJ's or otherwise -- that state they
are made on "shared equipment with wheat."  If something seems so
yummy you just want to give it a shot -- it would be at your own
risk.  And, if on shared equipment, it might be fine most of the
time, and then suddenly not.  But there is a LOT to offer at TJ's, in
terms of canned and frozen vegetables (often organic, and also better
quality than most mainstream stores), an excellent selection of
cheeses and organic meats (as well as several types of uncured
bacons), wonderful extra virgin olive oils (at very good prices),
balsamic vinegars, really great canned Roma tomatoes, lots of
packaged Indian and Thai foods that have no gluten, rice pastas and
many varieties of rice, tapioca pudding, chocolate pudding ... the
list goes on.  My current favorite:  a frozen conglomeration of
asparagus, green beans, edamame, spinach and other greens -- called
Greens with Envy.  Throw part of package of this great stuff into a
package of Thai Kitchen Chile and Lemon Grass flavored noodles -- and
YUM!  (If ya like that kind of thing.)

Good night and good luck.