From:
JGottl6279 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:44:54 EST

I got a huge response from folks wanting the recipes I found for a good GF
milk-free egg-free white bread. I am excited to report that I did get two
promising recipes that I will post. I am waiting to find out what one of the
ingredients (methylcellulose) is and where you purchase it, before I post the
second recipe. If anyone knows what that is and where to buy it please let me
know and then I will be able to get the other recipe out on the list.
Many,many thanks to Kathy who makes this recipe for her son. I have not
personally made it yet because I have had to order the Darifree, which I did
today.

MARCI'S SOFT WHITE BREAD
(also makes good pretzels, pizza dough, and challah bread)

2 cups white rice flour
2 cups tapioca flour
l/4 cup can sugar
4 liberal teaspoons guar/xanthan gum
2/3 cup dry Darifree**
l l/2 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons melted margarine or canola oil
l l/2 cups water
l teaspoon rice vinegar
l/2 cup warm water mixed with 2 teaspoons sugar
2 packages Red Star dry yeast (or 4 tsp. dry yeast)
3 eggs (or 4 t. egg replacer plus l/4 cup water)

Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Add the yeast to the sugar and let
stand to "proof"  for about l5 minutes.
Mix margarine, vinegar and l l/2 cup water, then beat in eggs

Add the margarine mixture, then the yeast mixture tothe dry ingredients. If
necessary, add water until soft enough to beat. Beat at high speed for 2-3
minutes, then add a small amount of flour until firm enough to work with.

Let the dough rise in the bowl, or you can form the dough and then let it
rise.

The softer dough means softer bread. If the dough is too sticky to work with,
get a bowl of water and keep dipping your hands into it. Keep tapioca flour
nearby for your work surface.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease baking sheet with gf cooking spray or oil.

Form the dough into whatever  shape you want. Rools or buns come out
well--just flatten an orange size ball of dough. You can make hot dog buns,
pizza crust, or regular loaves.

Place onto baking sheet, an make horizontal slits on top of your loaves with a
shrp, wet knife. Sprinkle the top of forms with tapioca flour for that
professional look and keeps it from overbrowning. Or brush with egg yolk (or
substitute and water) and sprinkle with poppy or sesame sees.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Obviously, smaller loaves will
cook faster. For pizza shells- bake only for l0 minutes and freeze. If baking
fresh, brush with canola (or olive) oil, put toppings on, and bake for 20-25
minutes.

**Darifree is a key ingredient here and is what makes the recipe so good. It
is a gf, df powdered milk substitute (hooray!!) and it is made from potatoes,
with a milder flavor, less sugar than rice milk. You can order it from A&A
Amazing Foods at 800-497-4834.

I did call A&A today and ordered the 5 lb. bag of Darifree; it was $29.00 plus
shipping. There are directions for adding water to make milk; the person who
answered the phone (Fred, perhaps the owner?) told me that this product has
calcium, other nutrients and no fat in it!! You can even make ice-cream with
it and he is sending me the directions. He says it's great over cereal  and in
coffee. I had never heard of this product and hope it's as wonderful as it
sounds. It would be oh, so wonderful to have milk again, especially a no-fat
version with calcium.

Hope you all will give me some feedback on how your baking turns out; I will
post the second recipe when I get the answer about the methylcellulose. P.S.
Kathy told me that she has not tried the egg-replacer herself, but the recipe
came from another listmember who apparently thinks it works well. Also this
was not tried in a bread machine by Kathy but probably could be. Happy bakaing
to everyone.....Leslie.....One more note: I called A&A twice and left messages
on the voice mail which were never returned; I kept trying until I finally got
a live voice who was very helpful and friendly at about 3 or 4 pm California
time.  Good luck!