From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:19:30 -0500

Holiday Parties - email #3 of 3

V. Other Tips - Suggestions - Advice!

==Decline participation in the Potluck/Dinner and come afterwards (for
desert/drinks).
==You can tactfully ask to see the bag or container of the items being
served.
==Stop trying to fit in.
==Take leftovers. Prepare quick meals to microwave in a crunch.  Have
cookies frozen or snacks on-hand.
==Go filled with interesting stories or a new joke, so you can talk while
they are eating.
==A party is not a place for detail medical descriptions.
==Remember that lots of people are on diets, have allergies or other
medical conditions with dietary requirements so finding people with eating
constraints is very common!  You're Not Alone!!
==Check out: www.forums.delphiforums.com
==Remember to thank the host for a great party and for helping you!
==Never be embarrassed to deal with this with your friends.
==Take food in a foil lined handbag or tote.
==Convert your regular appetizers to GF ones!
==Food can be the #1 topic, just listen patiently. If asked did or do you
want to try something, just say you haven't or no thank you.
==Remember - you will get better at social events! After a while, you won't
feel like the words I CAN'T EAT WHEAT is plastered across your forehead.
The need to explain everything isn't as important somehow.
==Don't let celiac keep you at home or hide behind it!
==Get out with other people! We can't become recluses or hermits just
because we have to eat a little differently than most others do.
==Dale Carnegie's book 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' is a great
guide with or without allergies/CD.
==The book 'Against the Grain' has lots of ideas and tips about handling
these types of scenarios.
==Parties are for PEOPLE and not about FOOD!!
==Focus on the social event and the food becomes less significant.
==Adjust your expectations.  Parties are NOT about food; they are about
people, relationships, having fun, etc.
==Never is it: Oh, just this one time!
==The key is planning and communication!!

FOOD IDEAS - GF THINGS TO TAKE!!

Rice Crackers+
Cookies+
Dressing (for salads)+
Deviled Eggs
Shrimp Cocktail
Veggies and Dip
Stuffed Mushrooms
Bacon-wrapped banana slices
Sushi with Real Crab
Tostitos or Corn Chips+
Lasagna
Meatballs
Humus (with crackers/chips)
Chex or Trail Mix+
Chicken Wings
Spiced Nuts
Dips - any and all kinds!
Pigs in a Blanket
Chili
Eclair Cake
Mexican Lasagna
Layered Taco Dip
Hot Crab Dip
Mini Florentine Cups

+ these items can be put in your purse or small gift bag.

Thanks again to everyone!! You're wonderful!! Also, I may have a few
recipes for items noted above, that were sent to me, so if you want them,
just send me an email.  Have a Happy and Safe Holiday!! ...Janet