Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 15:11:36 -0500

Hi All--

Okay, here we are with the McD's potato issue...According to the CSA, McD's
uses hydrolyzed wheat in their potato products, fast freezes them, ships
them to their restaurants where they are fried. When the CSA tested for
gluten, the only thing they could test was the oil the FFs and HBs are
cooked in. The person I talked to told me that hydrolyzing and distilling
does not destroy the gluten protein and that in both processes, some gluten
gets through. However, it is most likely diluted to the point that most
celiacs wouldn't react. This person further noted that celiacs are always
going to have to make decisions about the level of risk they are willing to
take. There is no way to take the gluten protein out of wheat [at least no
one has found a way to do that yet, as far as I know], so everyone needs to
decide for themselves if McDs FFs / HBs are worth the risk.

My apologies for any misunderstandings. Evidently, I didn't get the final
chapter on the McDs FF story.  ~~Ayn in Alabama