From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:21:34 EDT

I have read (sorry, I cannot give the exact publications) that when Canola
Oil is sprayed with insecticide, unlike most plants where the insecticide
stays on the surface of the plant, Canola, or Rapeseed, absorbs into the
plant some of the insecticide.  I welcome any further scientific reference to
this.

From years of eating gluten which my body could not tolerate, I developed
adrenal insufficiency.  My doctor, Dr.  Gerald Posenecker of Quakertown Pa.,
states in his book, that when the adrenals are stressed, people develop all
sorts of intolerances for foods and environmental contaminants.  I know I am
very sensitive to insecticides that are sprayed around me, and they cause the
adrenal symptoms to occur.  When I first started the gluten free diet, there
were many other reactions to foods, such as intolerance to rice and corn as
well as gluten, and I could not eat tomatoes, peppers, beans and a even
fruits, such as apples, I would get weak and have symptoms as if I had
hypoglycimia weakness, faint, shakey, etc.  Canola Oil was one of my problem
foods.  The better I get, the fewer intolerances I have.  Now I can eat
limited amounts of these food.  (I was told that apples also absorb
insecticides in layers, by a farmer friend of mine.  I have no research to
back up this statement, !  !  perhaps others do.)

This immune system response is talked about in Posenecker's books " Adrenal
Insufficiency ,The disease doctors don't want to treat" and the updated
version about Chronic Fatigue, I don't know the exact title.  He can be
reached on the internet if you call up Posenecker.  My other doctor confirmed
this explanation about my difficulty also as a response to pesticides in
food, for example in chicken.  He has a daughter who is highly allergic, and
must eat only naturally grown chickens, no hormones, no tetracyline or other
agents in the food.  These things are hard to get.  This might explain some
of the story, for some people, who have stressed adrenals due to CD.

Carol, New Jersey